Saturday, April 16, 2011

Being a kid



My inspiration for this project comes from childhood memories. Shrinky Dinks. I remember begging my mom to let us get Shrinky Dinks. After making our creations, we would press our noses to the oven door to watch them curl and shrink.


Well, I'm not a little kid anymore, but Shrinky Dinks are still around. I decided to use the shrink plastic to create a fun birthday gift for my 7 year old niece, who happens to be very fashionable. Right now, she adores the "mis-matched" craze right down to her feet. She loves to wear socks that are similar colors but different patterns and tights that have polka dots on one side and stripes on the other. I decided to make her mis-matched earrings.


Using my Fiskars "Seal of Approval" Squeeze punch, I punched out 2 shapes from the shrink plastic. I stamped a "Happy Birthday" with a Fiskars stamp onto the plastic using Stazon ink, and after they dried, I turned them over and colored the opposite side with permanent paint markers.


Here is where technology is great! No more waiting with my nose pressed to the oven window...my heat gun works fabulously! I slowly wave the gun over the shrink plastic shapes as they curl, shrink, and then flatten.


I glued earring hardware onto the back and created a tendy purse card to make a presentation.


What inspires you from your childhood? Spirograph? Etch a Sketch?

Me, I'm going to go look for my Fashion Plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment