Monday, October 18, 2010

Pink and Orange DO go together




As a special October Breast Cancer Awareness Month challenge, Tami, one of the leads at Fiskateers, had a few of us working on a secret project...create something highlighting the colors Pink and Orange. I threw a little Halloween fun in too, and I created a bracelet and earrings by stamping and coloring on Shrink Plastic (like Shrinky Dinks). And let me tell you, it sure is fun to shrink the plastic with a heat gun...then I don't have to press my nose so close to the oven door to watch it shrivel (hee-hee).

Here is a little photo tutorial on my creations.


















-I cut sheets of shrink plastic (like Shrinky Dinks) into approximately 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" x 2" rectangles using my Fiskars bypass trimmer (the one with a guillotine-like blade).
-Using black Stazon ink, I stamped some Halloween images onto the "rough" side of the plastic sheets. I found it very difficult and slippery to try and stamp on the shiny side. Note that due to the texture of the plastic sheet, the images did bleed a bit. So, it would best to choose images that are simple and have less detail.
-Once the ink dried, I colored them with colored pencils (again, on the "rough" side).
-Using the piercing tool from my Fiskars Tool Taxi, I held down each shape as I shrunk it with my heat embossing gun (remember to do this on a heat resistant surface).
-Once they were shrunk and cooled, I used my Fiskars Craft Drill to drill a hole in each piece.
-2 important SIDENOTES: Make sure you put a piece of wood under your project while you are drilling. And, I did try punching a hole in the plastic before shrinking... But, since the hole shrinks too, I was having difficulty with the control I had over the size and placement and decided to use the drill instead.
-I added some jump rings (note to self: buy some bigger jump rings) and beads to some flex-wire and head pins and oooh-laa-laa, I have some fun and funky jewelry for October!
Now, you MUST check out the fabulous VIDEO that Tami put together to highlight all of the pink and orange projects. I'm proud to be a Fiskateer!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is amazing Kelly! I love it and you get the BEST MOM OF THE YEAR award for this one! CRAFT QUEEN!! Bowing down to you!!

    ReplyDelete