Friday, April 13, 2012

whatever is a surprise...

Laser cut paper is SO pretty, but so expensive. So, I rarely buy it, and then when I do, I try to save it for something special. It's silly, I know, but I bet I'm not the only one who is saving a pretty paper (or 2 or 3 or 12) for some "special" occasion.

Enter, a possible solution...


My mom surprised me with two new LUCKY 8 punches from We R Memory Keepers for my birthday. Actually, she is a HSN-aholic, and ordered them not really expecting them to be so big and heavy. She told me she had ordered some punches, but was going to send them back if I didn't want them. When I saw them, I swooned.  I had been secretly wanting to see, try, and buy these.  It was kismet. They became my birthday present!


The one that I used on this layout and card is called Lace Kerchief (I'll save the other one for another post). With 8 or less punches, I got the look of laser cut and shaped paper with paper I already had. For the layout about "my track star",  I used just the outer cut on a 12x12 sheet of cardstock.  I made a punch in each corner, then flipped the paper over and punched the opposite four corners.  For the card, I used both the inner and outer cut combined on a 7x7 sheet (no need to flip for this size, just four quick punches and I was done). 

 Now, if I'm going to be picky (which I have a tendency to do), my only complaint is that I would have liked a crisper cut on my paper.  I used a cardstock with a slight woven texture from American Crafts for both the layout and the card, and I can see some fray on both.  Can I live with it?  Yes.  Should it happen? I don't think so. 



Is it worth it to be able to create all of these paper shapes from a few punches?...I think yes.  Is it a good birthday surprise?...I think yes.  I'd like to hear your review if you've tried the Lucky 8 punches, and do you have a favorite?


~Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment