Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Be mixed up...



 
I'm learning it's ok to be "mixed-up".  At least in the sense of artwork.  I'm finding mixed-media to be very freeing.  No rules, no set structure, no boundaries, just playing.
 
 
Last Friday, I got to play with Linda Barutha at her store, Linnie Blooms (in Mukwonago, WI if you want to visit).  You can find her online store here at http://lindabarutha.com/shop/
She is selling lots of fun canvas shapes that are perfect for so many projects...like these long rectangular "blanks" and the fun sunflower/sun shape.  The possibilities are endless! 

First, I colored the background and flower shapes with Faber-Castell gelatos (and water) and stenciled on more designs with ink. I'm resisting the temptation to buy every gelato in every color!

Then it got even more fun as I continued to add more dimension by placing and squishing the flower shapes into one corner and adding some of Linnie Bloom textures (the cotton netting) that I had inked.  I also used some of that texture to make a little butterfly by folding it into a mini clothespin and adding wire antennae.  Finally, I added some ribbon and twine--twisting and stapling them onto the canvas to create grass, stems, and leaves.  The cute vintage hanger is from Melissa Frances.  For the sentiment, "everything grows better with love"...I  painted Modge Podge onto a piece of grid paper and after it dried I ran it through my printer.  I had to use a heat gun to get the ink to dry (after I learned how wet it stays on my first attempt---oops).


 
So, are you feeling mixed-up?  It's ok.  Embrace the craziness and create.  That's what I'm going to do.  Creating seems to mask the "crazy" pretty well.

~Kelly




Pin It




3 comments:

  1. oh Wow! This is so Beautiful! I've always wanted to try mixed media. Your ribbon grass, butterfly and flowers are gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I have dabbled in mixed media and likedit, but nothing of this caliber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I have dabbled in mixed media and likedit, but nothing of this caliber!

    ReplyDelete